Sunday, May 17, 2009

Carter Jay Lewis

He made it!!! Carter was born on Wednesday May 13th at 4:57 pm. He weighed 4 lbs 5 oz and was 17 1/2 inches long. He is so tiny! He was 6 weeks early and we have all been praying that he would be healthy....our prayers were answered. He is such a little miracle! He doesn't have any breathing problems. The Dr. said he'd probably have trouble taking a bottle since he was so premature but he's done great! He had to have a tube for a day but he yanked it out and hasn't had to have it since! They have been slowly increasing his feedings- he started out with 5 cc (about a teaspoon) and he's up to 35 already. The doctor said he has definitely surprised them. We are so thankful...GOD IS AMAZING!

Ty is so proud of his little guy...he is going to be a wonderful dad. He was great all through the labor and delivery.
This is just after he was born. He has an IV in his right hand and monitors for his heart and lungs.

I can't wait to bring him home!!!

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Last day

Okay...just keep in mind that I've been in the hospital since last Monday...LOL.This is our last day. The doctor is going to start pitocin in the morning at 6 so maybe we'll have a baby by this time tomorrow!!! I know I haven't posted any belly pics so I figured that I'd post some before it was too late.

Everything is looking good with the baby so far...I'm confident that everything will go smoothly tomorrow. I'll try to post something as soon as I can when we get home.
Keep us in your prayers.

Monday, May 11, 2009

Major decision

The doctor came by and said that he really wants to induce on Wednesday. Carter will be six weeks early, so there are risks. The major one being that his lungs are not fully developed.

Worst case scenario: He'll need to be on a ventilator for 2-3 weeks at Texas Childrens in Houston. Best case: He will just need a little help breathing and can stay here at St. Lukes in the NICU.
The dr said we could wait another week to give him that time to further develop his lungs. However, that too is risky. Dr. Peet said that if we wait one day too long and I get an infection-from the ruptured uterus-that the baby will be premature and be born with an infection. He said in that case-he would rather eliminate that risk and just deliver early. A preemie would be better than a preemie that is already sick...make sense? However, he said it was completely up to us.

He sent in the neonatologist to talk to us about the risks of having a preemie....scary stuff. But of course she had to tell us the WORST case situations. There is always the possibility Carter will be tiny but breathing perfectly fine. I am a total wreck. I am trying to stay sane for the babys sake but GEEZE! I have already said like a thousand prayers- please say one for us too. I know God will take care of the baby and everything will be fine.

Day Number 8

Well this is day number 8 in the hospital. I rested last weekend and went in for another ultrasound on Monday the 4th and my fluid level was still the same. My dr decided to admit me to get some antibiotics to prevent infection because of the leak and also give me steriod shots to develop the baby's lungs.--incase I deliver early. I was thinking I'd be here for a few days.....but he has decided to keep me here. The good news is my fluid has went from a 6 to a 9.8 and the baby looks great.
When I saw the dr friday he said he wanted to induce this week sometime because he's worried that I will get an infection. He said it's more risky to deliver in an emergency because of an infection than to deliver 6 weeks early. I am waiting on pins and needles this morning for him to come in and let me know what he's thinking. Either looks like we'll be having a baby this week!!!!!

I'll post something after I see him.

I am so bored- you really have no idea. I finally got to leave my room yesterday for a quick ride in a wheel chair and I was so excited! Ty has been here the whole time-he's so great. I know he is more bored than I am but he is not leaving. He went home one night because my sister came and stayed and he called me a million times. I have such a great husband-and I know he will make a great dad :o)

Saturday, May 2, 2009

32 week appt.

We went to have our 4D ultrasound on Friday....and it turns out I do not have enough amniotic fluid. It should be around 12-15 and I only have a 6. Not only do I not have enough but I have been leaking it for at least the past week. I thought it was just urine was I supposed to know the difference?
They checked Carter's heart rate and fetal movements and said he was doing great under the circumstances. I am on bed rest for the next week to try and keep any more fluid from leaking out. I go back Monday to see if my amniotic fluid has increased any or if it's getting lower. Hopefully it will look good and I can just do bed rest at home. The dr said if it looks worse that I'll have to go into the hospital to keep my levels up until I deliver....which is about 7 more weeks. Pray that doesn't happen.
I am positive though. Just sitting at home yesterday after my appt and taking it very easy seemed to make a big leakage. I think all the walking and standing at school is not good for leaky pipes... :o)

I'll keep you all updated. Keep us in your prayers.